Another year of discovering new music! One thing about streaming services like Spotify – there is no excuse not to explore new music. Grateful to CBC Radio 2, NPR Music, and friends for pointing me toward music I would not have found otherwise.
So here’s my list. These aren’t necessarily the best albums of the year – David Bowie’s Blackstar for example is probably a classic – but they are the ones I listened to the most, that stuck with me, and that I think you should check out too.
- Undercurrent / Sarah Jarosz
- Azel / Bombino
- The Very Last Day / Parker Millsap
- Beyond the Bloodhounds / Aida Victoria
- Spirit’s Furnace / Bones of J.R. Jones
- Montana / The Dead Tongues
- Walking with a Stranger / Escondido
- Last Days of Oakland / Fantastic Negrito
- Love and Hate / Michael Kiwanuka
- Retribution / Tanya Tagaq
- You Want it Darker / Leonard Cohen
- A Sailor’s Guide to Earth / Sturgill Simpson
- Emotions and Math / Margaret Glaspy
- Cardinal / Pinegrove
- Into the Light / Marisa Anderson
Now I need to head over to Mr. Tom O’Connor’s list and check out what I’ve missed!